Thursday, August 13, 2009

Following Betty and Julia

I went with my parents to see Julie and Julia the other night. What a great movie! It was thoroughly enjoyable, and after a summer without any real opportunity to cook, tantalizing and mouthwatering. The next day I went to a local used bookstore and bought a few cookbooks. For years, my mother and grandmother have used their respective editions of Betty Crocker's Cookbook and I have been wanting to get my hands on one ever since. Unable to find an older printing, I came home with the 40th anniversary edition from 1991. It's paperback, but I may take it to Kinko's and have it rebound so it is more durable and lays flat. I also picked up a 1965 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, which Kyle's mother uses, and book of bento recipes. The latter, I confess, is more for eye candy since I don't even know where to find some of the ingredients, much less someone who will eat them.

Then I came home and started scouring Amazon for a 1973 edition of Betty Crocker's Cookbook so I could have one identical to my mother's, only to be interrupted by her handing me a box and saying, "Happy moving out!"

What was in the box but a brand-new 2005 Betty Crocker Cookbook, New Edition! Don't know what the lack of possessive in the title means, but I'll take it anyway. So now I have several cookbooks and finally a few American ones. I would like to get my hands on the Julia Child set, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but I can wait.

Inspired by all this reading last night and the fresh, aromatic peaches I found at the farmers' market, I made a Peachsicle (although Kyle also called it a Peach Push-up, which I like better) by pureeing a peach, vanilla rum, and half-and-half. It was yummy. After dinner, I experimented with eggs, trying a Julia Child omelette and toaster-poaching in foil cups and muffin tins. The first omelette I made was near perfect, but I couldn't quite replicate it for breakfast this morning. They were tasty, however.

I'm moving into my apartment at school in a few days, and I am most excited to move into the kitchen. I've been scouring our basement for extra pots pans, and tupperware containers, so I'm well-stocked. I can't wait to start using these cookbooks!

No comments: