Saturday, October 24, 2009

Savory Mushroom Spread

2-3 tablespoons butter
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon shallot, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dry white wine
2 tablespoons pine nuts or almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons sour cream
salt and pepper

Melt butter in skillet. Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic and saute about 6 minutes on med-high heat. Add wine and cook 2 minutes longer. Cool mixture.
Remove to serving bowl and stir in sour cream and nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with baguettes or crackers.

--------------------------------

I started making this before realizing that I didn't have sour cream, so I crushed up the toasted pine nuts and mixed them, along with some heavy cream, into the mixture and kept cooking till it thickened. It's cooling on the stove now, so I haven't tested it on bread or crackers, but my spoon tests (and my nose) tell me that "savory" is the right word for this!

No comments: