Saturday, April 7, 2007

some explanations...


Ah, maybe I should make a note of how my posts/recipes will go. Obviously I'm no cookbook author (yet). If I copy a recipe I like, it'll have all the culinary language and precise measurements and stuff. But I'm kind of a big fan of measuring by sight (when it's practical) and using a culinary/artistic eye to take care of proportions, colors, etc. So when I'm adapting a recipe or just copying someone else's dish, I will probably only specify the most necessary measurements. Culinary art (still looking for a better synonym, in any language) is as dependent on the style and personality of the creator as music, dance or painting. So I want there to be as much room for elaboration and adaptation as is necessary.

Basically, some of my posts (like the only recipe I have at this point) might only be a list of ingredients and some seemingly obvious instructions. This means that I either have no idea what the best way to go about it is (i.e., I haven't actually made it yet), I want to leave room for artistic freedom, or it actually doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it and it tastes good. I mean, how many ways can you screw up a salad? (The visual side of my brain is begging to be expressed, but I'm suppressing it until a later date.) Putting ideas and experiments into an organized format just seems better to me than hiding them in five paragraphs of a story about the history, creation, and experience of the recipe. That's not to say that I won't have stories to share (such as mopping soda off my kitchen ceiling), just that they will be separated from the more business-like posts. Yay blogs! They're so addicting.

No comments: