Friday, April 6, 2007

Vanilla Mint Fruit Salad


(tested and approved)

20-30 oz strawberries, hulled, quartered
2 c seedless green grapes
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

In short: combine, toss, cover, chill, serve. It looks adorable in tiny dishes (about a quarter-cup serving) and is delicious and refreshing on a warm summer night.

--------------------------------

Brookes made this for us while we were cooking for the five-meat pasta night a few weeks ago. She sent us the recipe afterward from epicurious.com (unimaginatively titled Strawberries and Grapes with Mint and Vanilla) Apparently it is an Italian recipe, and the mint is 'a favorite ingredient in native cooking.' I wasn't too crazy about the idea of vanilla and mint together, but after tasting it I recant all my former feelings. I didn't have time to make it for my parents like I'd hoped, but I did make a big bowl for Adele and me, and we ate it for like a week. I made rice with just a little sushi vinegar and vanilla mixed in and put the fruit on top and packed that for lunch every day. It was delicious!

Edit: Have made this for parents and other relative-type people and it has been universally adored. Added oranges the other day, and it was great. Can't wait to try things like watermelon, peaches, bananas, pineapples, cherries, you get the idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This fruit salad is sooooo good. I think it's addictive