Saturday, June 23, 2007

Mom's Best Butter Cookies

(courtesy of Angela's mother, one of my adopted moms)

1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 cups flour

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp milk (whole or half'n'half)
2 tsp light corn syrup

Preheat oven to 400°. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat well. Gradually add flour, mixing to make dough smooth. Roll on flour-sprinkled board, cut into fun shapes. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 8 to 14 minutes. Do not chill this dough. For icing, mix milk and sugar first and then add corn syrup. Add corn syrup to thin as needed. Color with paste-type food coloring if possible. Send by multiple dozens to college kids.

--------------------------------

These cookies came to me in a blissful dream during the Easter season (i.e., after Lent) from a rather large suitcase sent by the angel that is Angela's mother. I begged her to consider me part of the family and thus share her recipe with me. She did gladly, and I think most of Salem is better for it. =)

One tip I learned from Brookes (and forgot about until I tried to make a double batch of this stuff and nearly killed my mixer) is that when you're mixing butter, even if it's softened, it really helps to cut it and feed it to the mixer in little pats rather than throwing the whole thing in. Also, don't ever make a double batch of this unless you don't plan on icing them. It just gets to be so much work. After hours of mixing, rolling, baking, and icing, my shoulder was so sore. Plus the whole corn syrup thickening thing gets to be a real annoyance if you're already tired of the cookies.

This dough comes out really really soft, as in, I don't know how you would ever roll and cut it. My grandmother was helping me make cookies this particular Tuesday, and between the two of us we probably added another cup of flour. We also cut them rather thick, which was alright because there were still like a thousand of them. We must have baked six or seven sheets. The icing, on the other hand, was really stiff. Be nice to yourself. Add lots of corn syrup or you will go crazy trying to spread it. It will dry out, I promise. I used regular food colors with no adverse effects. It was so thick that I don't think it would have really mattered what I used. And I have no idea why you're not supposed to chill the dough. I didn't try it.

These cookies are amazing. Make them often, paint them pretty colors, and give them to lots of people. They will get smiles for their appearance and taste- a big hit all around! (They're also fun to play with, if you've been noticing the pictures...)

No comments: